Video & TV license

Using Tuvayhun for a TV or video production  

This is where you get permission for any audio-visual recordings. 

If you plan to use music in a film, TV, YouTube or DVD production, there are certain rights you need to clear first. 

How do I get permission and a license?

1. You need permission from us as the rights holder of the music.

2. Then you need a license from NCB, the Nordic Copyright Bureau or the Harry Fox Agency in the United States.

All productions that contain copyright-protected music must be cleared through NCB, who collects payments on behalf of the rights holders.

Why do I need a license?

In copyright law, a synchronization license grants permissions to release a work in a video format (YouTube, DVDs, Blue-ray discs, etc). This permission is also called synchronization rights or synch rights. Whenever you release a recording of a work that someone else wrote in a video format, even if it's just a small portion of the work, you need a synchronization license.

Whether the use is professional, semi-professional, amateur, or educational, and whatever the eventual purpose of the film (including posting on YouTube) a synchronization license for the use of the music is required.

The license may involve a license fee depending on the prominence of the music, how it will be used, how much of the work will be used, and how it is distributed.

Why do I need permission?

By copyright law, copyright falls into two categories: Economic rights and moral rights. While NCB protects the right holder's economic rights, moral rights are the author's and right holder's right to control how their work is used. As an example, permission to use any of the work for political advertising will not be granted.

Can we upload our concert performance on YouTube?

In most cases you can, upon submitting your recording for our review. Recordings that are uploaded on YouTube, etc. without permission will be removed.

What is copyright?

Copyright is a law which states that the creators of artistic works own their creations – those creations are their ‘intellectual property’. As with any other form of property, intellectual property must not be stolen or used by others without the consent of the creators or without any reward being offered.

Request form

To request permission for film, TV, advertising, video games, YouTube or more please contact

Next, to request a license please go to NCB's website. or the Harry Fox Agency in the United States.

Note that synchronization licenses are for video products (DVDs, YouTube videos, other web videos, etc). If you are creating an audio-only product, such as CDs or for online streaming, you need a mechanical license.