Choreography license


This is where you get permission and a 'dramatic license'. 

All theatrical or dramatic presentations (e.g. choreography, dance, stage action, plays), whether with live or recorded accompaniment, require permission and a dramatic license (also called grand rights).

Similarly, if you wish to film or record a theatrical presentation for audio or audio-visual broadcast, internet streaming (whether viewing is free or paid for), commercial or private release, you need to request permission and an additional recording or synchronization license from us.

Why do I need a dramatic license?

ASCAP (and its worldwide affiliates) only grants the right to license nondramatic performances of copyrighted musical works, so-called small rights. Thus, an ASCAP license does not authorize dramatic performances, so-called grand rights. Such rights in musical works are licensed by the composer or publisher, or other licensing agents for the work.

Why do I need permission?

By copyright law, copyright falls into two categories: Economic rights and moral rights. While NCB protects the right holder's economic rights, moral rights are the author's and right holder's right to control how their work is used. As an example, permission to use any of the work together with other artistic elements requires approval by the right's holder. Please give us a detailed description of your planned production.

Permission to use any of the work for political advertising will not be granted.

Changes to the work

Our License Agreement expressly states that the work must be performed as written. Changing the music or lyrics is strictly prohibited and all choreography and staging solutions must be planned accordingly.

Request form 

To request a license please contact